Code of Conduct for Teachers in the UK
The current code of conduct for teachers – “Teachers’ Standards” – have been in effect since September 2012 and were established by the Department of Education.
Prior to this, the code of conduct for teaching professionals in the UK fell under three separate categories: the “Standards for qualified teacher status” and the “Core professional standards”, which were both published by the Training and Development Agency for Schools; and the General Teaching Council for England’s Code of Conduct and Practice for Registered Teachers.
These were merged following suggestions made in 2011 in the Independent Review of the Teachers’ Standards.
To whom do the Teaching Standards apply?
The purpose of the Teaching Standards is to provide a minimum level of practice for all early years, primary and secondary school teachers training towards, or who have already achieved, qualified teacher status. However, the Teachers’ Standards also apply to:
- Trainee teachers working toward Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
- Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs)
- School Leaders
- Governing Bodies
What do the Teachers’ Standards Cover?
There are 8 main areas of guidance from an educational perspective (see below), and a further section containing standards for personal and professional conduct. These aim to ensure that the pupils are at the heart of teachers’ work.
The following guidelines have been taken directly from the Teachers’ Standards online PDF, wherein can be found further information about each:
1. Set high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge pupils
2. Promote good progress and outcomes by pupils
3. Demonstrate good subject and curriculum knowledge
4. Plan and teach well-structured lessons
5. Adapt teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils
6. Make accurate and productive use of assessment
7. Manage behaviour effectively to ensure a good and safe learning environment
8. Fulfil wider professional responsibilities
For further information about the current Teachers’ Standards please visit the following link:
Alternatively, we also have our World Class Teachers agency code of conduct which is given to each of our wonderful supply teachers upon commencing their UK teaching career with us.