FAQs for Prospective Teachers

Teaching FAQs

Here at World Class Teachers we aim to make your experience with us as transparent as possible, as well as offer advice on teaching in London from abroad. We’ve compiled some of the most common questions on the teaching role types, types of schools and experience required below.

Have a question in need of an answer?

  • What type of supply teaching roles are available in London?
    World Class Teachers offer a range of supply teacher roles from day to day, short term and long term placements in Early Years, Primary and Secondary Schools. Whether you are looking for your next teaching role in the sciences, arts or in SEN, we can help you find the ideal role. We also provide Cover Supervisor and Teaching Assistant jobs.
  • In which areas of London does WCT have teaching placements?
    While the main World Class Teachers office is located in West London, we work with schools all over Greater London. Whether you live in North, South, East or West London we can help you find a school in an area close to where you live.
  • Can WCT offer me teaching placements within Special Education Needs (SEN)?
    We do work with schools in need of SEN supply teachers and Teaching Assistants in both Primary and Secondary Schools. SEN Teaching is a wonderful opportunity to inspire and support students with Special Education Needs to achieve their potential. When you register with us, make sure to let us know of your interest in SEN or other areas so we can help find you a suitable teaching role.
  • Can WCT guarantee me work for 5 days per week?
    As the work offered varies between the different schools’ needs, we cannot always guarantee work 5 days each week. We do our best to match your career interests with longer term or even permanent teaching posts if that is what best suits you. However, we do offer Guaranteed Pay scheme. Please contact a World Class consultant for more information and to see if you qualify.
  • What is a Cover Supervisor?
    A Cover Supervisor replaces the regular class teacher in their absence. They provide day-to-day relief and are often the only authority in the room. They are responsible for class supervision, behavioural management and ensuring students complete work assigned.
  • What is the difference between QTS and NQT?
    Qualified Teaching Status (QTS) is awarded to teachers who have passed both their Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and their skills test. A QTS is awarded by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL), part of the UK Department of Education.

    Teachers who have equivalent qualifications from Australia, New Zealand, Canada or the US are able to apply as long as they have also completed the probationary period. Without having completed this probationary period you do not qualify for QTS. We strongly recommend you apply for QTS in order to maximise the amount of work we can submit you for.

    A Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) applies to any teacher who has not completed a three term induction period. Teachers have up to 5 years to complete their induction period once they have received their NQT qualification. We strongly recommend all NQT’s complete their induction period as soon as possibly.

  • Does WCT work with a particular type of school?
    We work with a number of different schools across Greater London with a wide range of Ofsted ratings, areas of focus, cultures, specialities and ethos. We aim to match you with a school that fits your experience and interests, so if there is a particular type of school you would like to teach in, please let us know when you register with us.
  • Can I assist in sport and other clubs at the schools?
    Depending on the need of the school and the nature of the placement, there are opportunities to assist with sport and relevant extracurricular activities. If you have an interest in a particular sport or club, do let us know during your meeting with us.
  • What happens at an interview with WCT?
    This is a good time for us to meet you get to know you and find out exactly what kind of work your after. We will have some forms for you to fill out as well as making copies of the required documents we ask you to bring with you. Prior to the interview we will send you an email confirming exactly what documents / information you will need to bring with you.
  • Who should I list for my references?
    World Class Teachers require at least two references from past teaching roles or within a similar educational environment. References must be from employers and colleagues within the last three years. Details required include their full name, job title, school and a professional email address.
  • Why is a background check required?
    Safety of students is a number one priority, and background checks are required for anyone who applies to work with children of any age. We will conduct our own enhanced DBS disclosure, and an Overseas Police Check if applicable. *If you are overseas teacher or have been overseas for sometime we will require you bring with you your overseas police check.
  • What do I need to bring with me on my first day?
    Upon confirming your booking we will text you all required information including what you will need to take with you. This can include your DBS, Proof of Address and Photo ID.
  • We will always endeavour to give you as much information as possible to make sure your day runs smoothly – for example we will let you know if we recommend you pack a lunch or if there are any specific dress codes. As a general rule you should always bring with you general classroom materials including pens, pencils, a notebook etc.
  • Who will be my contact?
    We will always send you information of who to contact at the school and the best way to reach them but of course we are always available to help if you have any problems!
  • How will I receive payment?
    Payment will be processed a week in arrears. Payment will be deposited weekly either via our accounts on PAYE or by your nominated Umbrella company.
  • How far would I need to travel for supply work?
    We aim to find teaching placements close to or within a reasonable commute from your residence. We always inform our supply teachers of the exact location of the schools before they agree to a teaching job.
  • What support does WCT offer?
    We are always contactable if you need to ask any questions or have any queries. We value and welcome your feedback – we’ll do our best to place you in a job you enjoy!
  • What is the difference between the UK education system and that of my home country?
    The UK Education system is broken down into different levels by student age. This system is similar to Commonwealth countries such as New Zealand and Australia. We are always willing to provide support while making your transition into UK Schools, but for more detailed information on the UK curriculum click here.
  • Will I need a visa?
    If you do not hold a UK passport and are not a citizen of the EEA, you will have to obtain the proper work visa pertaining to your situation. There are many visa different options, depending on your nationality. Teachers from Australia and New Zealand can apply for one of several visas based on ancestry or work intent. We offer more guidance on this issue on our resource page for overseas teachers.
  • I’m a teacher from overseas looking to move to London, where should I live?
    London is a large, wonderful city to live in with plenty of different areas from which to choose. No one area is the best, and each neighbourhood has its own personality. To find out more about living in the different areas of London, take a look at our blog post.

Have a question that hasn’t been answered above? Feel free to contact us at +44 (0) 208 579 4501 or visit our office in West London!